By Dr. Kevin Ostrowski, SRM Urologist
Q: WHAT IS MALE INFERTILITY AND WHO IS AFFECTED?
- About 1 in 7 couples have difficulty getting pregnant (ie, trying for 12 months without success).
- 50-60% of these couples will have a cause that is related to the male partner.
- Male factors include: abnormalities in semen analysis, little or no sperm, issues with erections or ejaculation, hormonal issues, varicoceles, and blockage of the vas deferens from a prior vasectomy.
Q: HOW DOES SRM TEST MALE FERTILITY?
- The standard test to check for male fertility is the semen analysis. A variety of parameters are assessed including concentration (number of sperm), motility, and morphology (shape).
- Preferably this would be done at a fertility center such as SRM to ensure reliable, standardized results and a better patient experience.
- At SRM, you will have a quick follow-up phone consultation to go over your test results a few days after your appointment.
At SRM, you will have a quick follow-up phone consultation to go over your test results a few days after your appointment.
Q: CAN MALE INFERTILITY BE IMPROVED?
Yes. There are many things we can do to improve sperm counts including:
- Lifestyle changes
- Medications for erections or ejaculation
- Hormonal medications
- Sometimes surgery
A few examples of lifestyle changes are:
- Exercise regularly, at least 30 minutes 5 days per week if possible
- Decrease stress
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet
- Lose weight (if needed)
- Avoid substances and activities known to have a negative impact on male fertility: tobacco and marijuana use, certain medications, regular use of hot tubs
- Avoid medications or supplements that contain testosterone or its precursors (DHEA)
Q: WHY WOULD I BE REFERRED TO SRM FOR MALE INFERTILITY?
- If you need a semen analysis
- If you had an abnormal semen analysis
- If you have a varicocele
- If you have a history of or are currently using testosterone
- If you are concerned about your fertility
Q: HOW DO I SCHEDULE A SEMEN ANALYSIS?
Call SRM at 877.777.6002 to schedule an appointment at any of our six locations. SRM is the only infertility center with two fellowship trained urologists seeing patients in Seattle and the Eastside. Read more about Dr. Ostrowski.